It maybe a bit early, but it is something definite to start thinking about.
From the Moderator Pro Tempore blog:
About a week into the public beta, we will seek out members who are deeply engaged in the community’s development; members who:
- Have a reasonably high reputation score to indicate active, consistent participation.
- Show an interest in their meta’s community-building activities.
- Lead by example, showing patience and respect for their fellow community members in everything they write.
- Exhibit those intangible traits discussed in A Theory of Moderation.
Bonus points for:
- Members with participation in both meta and the parent site (i.e. interest in both community building and expertise in the field).
- Area 51 participation, social network referrals, or blogging about the site.
- Members who have already shown an interest or ability to promote their community.
Candidates will be contacted and three of them will be selected to act as provisional Moderators until the community holds formal elections after the Beta period. Besides the normal abilities of a Moderator, they will:
- Have access to a special chat room where we will collectively work through the challenges of moderation and community self-policing.
- Organize the process of selecting the site’s attributes (domain names, design issues, the FAQ, etc.).
- Rally community support and drive the mission of getting publicity for the site.
Essentially, they will have the ear of the Stack Exchange team for anything we can do to help their sites succeed!
Nominate someone or nominate yourself.