Some works of literature are heavily based on existing mythology. Are these works on topic here?
To be clear, I am not referring to entirely fictitious mythologies, like Cthulhu or Star Wars mythos.
A few examples:
- The Homeric epics ("The Odyssey", "The Iliad")
- The plays of Sophocles ("Oedipus Rex", "Antigone")
- Wu Cheng'En, "Journey to the West"
- Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "Idylls of the King"
- Shakespeare, "A Midsummer Night's Dream"
- TH White, "The Once and Future King"
The Homeric epics I've listed more as a point of comparison. So far, the community seems to find the Odyssey on topic, which, I think, seems appropriate.
Similarly, I suspect "The Once and Future King" may be clearly off topic.
The rest of these examples, I find troublingly murky. Would a question about the actions of Haemon in Sophocles telling of "Antigone" be on topic (that is, not including the similar works from Aeschylus or Euripides)? Could a question about the nature or actions of Sun Wukong be (excepting comparisons, like how he relates to Hanuman)?